How to Get An Appointment For A Medical Problem
- Contact reception by popping in to Whitehill Surgery or the Fairford Leys branch site or calling on 01296 424488 Option 1
- For minor ailments we would suggest either looking on NHS Choices for self-care, or visiting a local pharmacist for advice. The Ask NHS app also helps with self-care and will direct you straight to the practice if GP advice is needed.
- The reception team may ask you some questions in order to book you in with the appropriate healthcare professional
- There are a limited number of appointments that can be booked in advance either through the reception team or with Patient Online Access
- If you require an appointment for the same day it is possible that you could be put on a list for a call back from the doctor, or booked to in to see our Advance Nurse Practitioner/Physician Associate or Paramedic Practitioner.
- A message on our phone system will advise when all the bookable appointments for that day have been exhausted and you would then be advised to contact NHS 111 if you feel that you are unable to wait another day. If NHS 111 says that you need to contact a doctor that day you will need to let the reception team know so that your name can be added to the overflow list and the 111 report attached to your medical record before the doctor makes contact with you.
- If the 111 message is heard on the phone you may still hold to speak to reception to discuss appointment options for forthcoming days
- We also have a Clinical Pharmacist that you can book in to see for medication reviews
For all appointments - 01296 424488 (option 1)
- If you feel that you need an appointment, you will need to request a call back from the doctor. The doctor may be able to deal with the issues on the phone, however if there is a clinical need for you to be seen the doctor will book you a face to face appointment; this may be for the same day
- In the interests of continuity of care, for ongoing health issues it is always better to speak to your usual doctor, please see the table below showing when your usual doctor is in the practice (please note that this may be subject to change on occasion)
- Pre bookable telephone appointments – these can be booked in advance by contacting reception or online if you have registered for Patient Online Access
For all appointments: 01296 424488 Option 1
Our practice nurses are responsible for a wide range of services including:
- Asthma and COPD Clinics
- Blood Tests
- Cervical Smears
- Diabetes Clinic
- Health Promotion and Advice
- Travel Advice (please see 'Services' webpage for details)
- Wound Management (including dressings and leg ulcer care)
The reception team will book your appointment with the most appropriate member of the team.
We also have other allied healthcare professionals working at the practice. For details about specific clinics, look under Clinics & Services.
Please telephone reception before 10.00am if you think you need a home visit.
A doctor or our Paramedic Practitioner may phone you back as it may be that your problem can be dealt with by telephone advice, or that it would be more appropriate to send a nurse, or indeed arrange a hospital attendance.
Home visits are only available for patients who are housebound because of illness or disability.
Please remember that several patients can be seen in the practice in the time that it takes to make one home visit. There are also better facilities for examining and treating patients at the Surgery.
Cancellations & Reminders
Cancel an Appointment
It is important that you inform the reception staff if you are unable to attend your appointment, this will allow that appointment to be offered to another patient. If you fail to notify the Practice that you are unable to attend, you will be sent a letter informing you that you have defaulted from your appointment. Persistent defaulters maybe removed from the list.
You can also complete our appointment cancellation notification request form. This can only be used if your appointment has been arranged for more than 24 hours in advance. (excluding weekends and public holidays). You can also text to cancel your appointment.
Text Reminder Service
We have a texting service which allows you to receive confirmation and reminders about your appointments.
To have this service you will need to register by completing a consent form.
Please remember to update your contact details with us when you change address, telephone numbers and email address.
Please remember this is a courtesy service - it remains the patient's responsibility to attend their appointment, whether or not the text has been sent.
Late For Your Appointment
Please attend your appointment on time, if you are late you may not be seen. If you are not seen you will not be able to rearrange your appointment until the next working day-except in the event of an medical emergency that requires immediate attention.
If you require an interpreter to attend with you when you see your Doctor please notify the receptionist and she will arrange this for you.